Wednesday, March 10, 2010

First Things First

Well everyone welcome to my blog! This was recommended to me by a dear friend whose emails were getting clogged up by my many thoughts and contemplations each day!! I am a regular working person in an irregular world. What does that mean, you ask? Well, like millions of people around the globe I have spent 35 of my 54 years on this planet going back and forth to work. Spending up to 16 hours a day doing this. Working shifts, overtime, part time, full time. Doing whatever was available to pay the bills. Spending 5 or more days a week in offices in front of office machines. Never knowing any job security, just always hoping the paycheck will come before the bills. Wondering how to make this better but not having much time to do so.
Sound familiar?
My friends know me as a sometimes cynical, often outraged, analytical type who is not afraid of the word socialism. One thing I do ask is that this space not get filled up with arguments about socialism. I am open to other viewpoints but don't want to focus on that!
So, why have I started this blog? Well, I have been underemployed all my life and unemployed a lot in between that. Right now, like millions of others, I have been unemployed for over a year. And wherever I turn I see working people struggling against the odds to simply have a place to live, food to eat, and a minute to relax. I find this very disturbing. It seems to me there should be more to life than this complete focus on work. Yes, work is good. Yes, we should get up and go out to work. But my question is this: what does "work" really mean? Should it just be a means to an end or should we be able to feel it is something worthwhile? Is money the only satisfaction we should get from work? And shouldn't we have more choices in the type of work we can do? And why do we work so much? Shouldn't we have a little bit more free time? And shouldn't we have more choice in the conditions we work under?
These are just my first thoughts. I love to dialogue so let me hear from you! Feel free to comment on any and all posts on this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment